PR Card Renewal

  • Renewal of PR card
  • Application for Permanent resident Travel Document (PRTD)
  • Application for renouncing permanent resident status

The PR card is an official proof that you are a permanent resident of Canada. Permanent residents must have a valid permanent resident card (PR card) or permanent resident travel document (PRTD) to return to Canada by plane, train, bus or boat. Without one, you may not be able to board the transport to Canada.

Your PR card needs to be valid when you produce at the port of entry (POE). If your card expires, you will have to apply for a new one. You do not lose your PR status because of the expiry of your PR card and you are still a permanent resident. If you’re outside Canada and your PR card is expired, you need to apply for a PRTD to return to Canada.