ARC, Criminal Rehabilitation & TRP

  • Application of Criminal rehabilitation
  • Assessment for deemed rehabilitation
  • Advice on eligibility for rehabilitation
  • Temporary Resident Permit
  • Application for ARC

If you are or have been the subject of a removal order from Canada, you will probably need an Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) if you intend to return. Whether you need an ARC or not depends on the type of removal order that was issued.

If you’re otherwise inadmissible but have a reason to travel to Canada that is justified in the circumstances, you may be issued a temporary resident permit.

To be eligible for a temporary resident permit (TRP), your entry or stay in Canada must outweigh the health or safety risks to Canadian society, as determined by an immigration or a border services officer. Even if the reason you’re inadmissible seems minor, you must demonstrate that your visit is justified.

Criminal rehabilitation is one of the ways a person can overcome their criminal inadmissibility to Canada.

Any person wishing to visit Canada must meet all the requirements of Canadian immigration law before he or she will be permitted entry. Under Canada’s health and security regulations, foreign nationals with a criminal conviction (including misdemeanor, Driving Under Influence (DUI) or Driving While being Impaired by Drugs (DWI)) may be considered inadmissible to the country and denied entry unless they are given special permission to enter from the Canadian Government

In general, temporary residents and applicants applying for permanent residence are considered to be criminally inadmissible if the person:

  • Was convicted of an offence in Canada.
  • Was convicted of an offence outside of Canada that is considered a crime in Canada
  • Committed an act outside of Canada that is considered a crime under the laws of the country where it occurred and would be punishable under Canadian law.

In order to be considered for a record suspension under the Criminal Records Act, a specified period of time must pass after the end of the sentence imposed. The sentence may have been payment of a fine, period of probation, or imprisonment.

If you have convictions in Canada and convictions or offences outside of Canada, both an approval of rehabilitation and a pardon are required to overcome your inadmissibility.