Work Permit

  • LMIA and LMIA exempted Work permit applications.
  • PGWP applications.
  • Extension & Restoration of status.
  • Open Spousal Work Permit applications.
  • International Experience Canada (IEC) applications.
  • Bridging Open Work Permit applications.
  • Home Support Worker Pilot.
  • Home Child Care Provider Pilot.

Canada relies on temporary foreign workers to fill critical labor shortages and contribute key skills to the work force. On average nearly half a million work permit holders are employed across Canada each year. In every sector from healthcare, Information Technology (IT) to agriculture, there are opportunities for everyone.

Work permits are generally employer specific, meaning you must work for the employer indicated on your work permit. For that your employer must first obtain a positive LMIA (if required).

However, work permits are also available in certain cases, in particular:

  • For a recent graduate of a DLI and PGWP eligible program.
  • For a PR applicant in Canada (or are the dependent family member of PR applicant).
  • For the spouse or common law partner of a skilled worker or international student.
  • For a refugee, refugee claimant, protected person, or their family member.
  • For post-secondary co-op work permits

In most cases the employer needs a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) to support the job offer rolled out to a foreign national; however, some jobs do not need a LMIA.